Sunday, October 25, 2009

"I hear your name in certain circles, and it always makes me smile."

Today is such a nice morning.  I have been working at Armani Exchange learning the details of running a retail shop.  This experience is more beneficial than I initially expected.  My game plan, pending my current and future "retail employers" aren't reading this... is to learn from one chain and then switch to another retail chain and learn from them and then switch again... this way I can learn from several companies on how they do things differently or the same and what works out the best.  I am also working for a vendor at the California Market Center.  With this opportunity I am able to see the process of how retail shops obtain the products that they sell within their own shops.  I'm learning more about different demographics and what types of clothing, fabrics, styles, etc. are popular for each specific group. 

Within school itself, I'm loving FIDM.  Whenever I put my white FIDM totebag on my shoulder it makes me smile, well depending on how heavy it is for the day ;)  My favorite part of this experience are my classes. 

LA itself is still crazy, seriously there are some weirdos in this city!!!  I thought Washington DC had some characters, well LA's crazies are different but may even be crazier!  I was going to tell some stories about the "crazies", but I'd rather not have that info listed on my blog...  I will say that generally speaking, the general population in LA is tremendously more fashion forward than the DC'ers (sorry guys, but it's true - straight up).  I joke and say that even the homeless people rock better style then the average individual walking the streets of DC (some homeless guys even have designer jeans, they are dirty, but they are designer haha).  That is not to say there aren't your fashionistas in DC, because they absolutely exist - so a shout out to you!

Now I just need to get all of my projects finished and get my work schedule(s) in order to enable me to get back to watching Project Runway.  I love that show and cannot believe I am missing this season since it was filmed in the very same school I am currently attending.  I have classes in the same rooms that the designers occupied. 

Alas, that is the current update.  My advice to those who are thinking about taking a leap for their dreams, do it!  Things are never going to line up completely; those ducks are never going to be in a row.  You just have to go for it.  That is part of what life is about - if you aren't pursuing your dreams, you are already dead!

No comments:

Post a Comment